Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Note From Bobbi

You saved my life a few years back after listening to your and Dr Silverman's webcast talking about chemo brain.  My oncologist saved my physical life but you saved my emotional life.

As you know (as I was interviewed for and quoted in your book), I was diagnosed with HER 2  ER/PR+++ breast cancer in October of 2005 and received ACT over the course of a year.  After completing chemo I found myself slushing through the fog.  When I talked about this with my oncologist his response was that I was just getting older.  Why yes, I was, but this felt like really really older :)

Hence I felt as if I were losing my mind.  I could no longer concentrate long enough to read (I still cannot), tasks that were easy for me I could no longer complete etc etc.  I worked with disabled people and for the first time ever, I so understood how they feel when they want to do something and just cannot accomplish it.

Somewhere I heard about your upcoming webcast.  My husband and I sat on the edge of our chairs listening to it while sobbing our eyes out the entire time.  Finally someone had acknowledged what I was going through and I was not crazy.

After that I was tested by a wonderful neurophsychologist who again confirmed that I do have deficits and I am not crazy!

Thank you once again for saving my life. I will be a 5-year survivor this October 2010.
Bobbi

1 comment:

  1. Bobbi, thank you so much for your lovely note. I can't tell you how gratifying it is for us to receive it. Congratulations on your 5-year cancer-free anniversary (I passed my five-year mark in July, so hooray for us!).

    Warmest regards to you.

    Idelle

    ReplyDelete